Wow, we are into December already and Christmas is less than 3 weeks away. If you’re like me, one of the things I like to do is write my New Year’s Resolutions and review last year’s to see how many of them were achieved. My Hubby and I never miss this opportunity. In fact the entire family gets involved and we put a vision board together to help us focus on the things we want to accomplish throughout the year. We believe that if it’s not on paper it’s not going to happen.
One of the most common New Year’s Resolutions that Canadians add to their list is to eat healthy, get fit, and lose weight. 50% of Canadians list a fitness goal as part of their New Year’s Resolution, yet only 10% succeed. I would like to share 5 Tips that motivated me to succeed. If I can help even one person who reads this post achieve their fitness goals to live a Fit and Healthy Lifestyle, then it was worth it. So please let me know how you’re doing 🙂
5 TIPS TO ACHIEVING YOUR FITNESS GOALS
1) SET A REALISTIC GOAL – Set a goal that’s realistic and if it’s a big goal, then break it down into manageable chunks. If your goal is to lose 40lbs. that you gained over 3 years, then it would be unrealistic to lose it in 3 months. It takes your body 4 weeks to adjust to a new workout routine and nutrition plan, 8 weeks for you to notice a difference, and 16-20 weeks for others to start noticing. They say slow and steady wins the race. Those who lose weight at a rate of 1 to 2lbs. a week will likely be more successful at keeping it off. So be patient and persistent. If you’re a visual person, download a picture of your dream body and make it your screen saver on your phone or somewhere you’ll see it everyday.
“A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.”-by Harvey MacKay.
2) ESTABLISH A DEADLINE TO YOUR GOAL – This gives you an “end date”. If you find yourself procrastinating, then let me tell you, it’s never a convenient time to start a fitness journey. Life’s events will always get in the way. Just pick a date, own your goals and focus.
3) HAVE A PLAN – Without a plan, your goal is just a dream! If you’re a busy parent like me, and have no clue where to start, consider hiring a professional. It is worth the investment. A good personal trainer will take away the guess work and all you have to do is show up for your workouts and eat your meals.
4) GET ORGANIZED & MAKE YOURSELF A PRIORITY – Parents, especially moms, are guilty of making everyone else a priority. This is going to be your year! Take your calendar out, and begin to schedule “Me Time” starting with training at least 3-4 times a week. You should also block off some time to prepare your meals in advance 2-3 times a week. Get the entire family involved.
5) TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME AND ALLOW FOR ADJUSTMENTS – Part of the STRONG GIRLS’ motto is to simply, “Correct and Continue”. This is your fitness journey and you are allowed to encounter bumps along the way. This means that if you screw up on a meal, don’t stress, just eat the next meal on your plan OR if you miss a workout, don’t start over, just do the next workout that is scheduled in your program. The 10% who succeed are the ones who get back up and keep on going.
NEED SOME MOTIVATION?
If you’re female and looking for a 1:1 Personal Trainer in the Richmond Hill, Ontario area, “Like” my FB Page send me a FB Message to book your consultation. I have limited slots available in January and will be taking on clients on a first come first serve basis.
If you’re looking for a proven on-line program, Coach JVB has a new 12 week Group Coaching Program that starts January 1/17. The winner for the best transformation receives a $1,000 Cash Prize. The program includes proven exercises, meal plans and the tools you’ll need to succeed. This challenge is open to both men and women! Click on the pink hyperlink above to sign-up and get all the details. I highly recommend joining in on the fun. Are you ready for PERMANENT results?
I look forward to seeing you on the STRONG GIRLS and STRONG ATHLETE Insider Page:)