A diet containing Omega-3 Fatty Acids is essential for excellent overall health and also provides a healthy “glow”. The Canadian Food Guide recommends eating 150 grams per week (5 oz. per week) of fish that is rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acids.
WHAT ARE OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS? Omega-3 Fatty Acids are healthy fats required for your body to function. It offers numerous health and beauty benefits. The two crucial fatty acids are EPA (eicosapentaenoic) and DPA (docosahexaenoic) that are primarily found in cold water fish. ALA (alpha-linolenic) is found in plants such as nuts and seeds.
- PREVENTS AND MANAGES HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, HEART DISEASE AND STROKE BY:
- Lowering Blood Pressure
- Reducing Triglycerides
- Slows the development of placque in the arteries
- Reducing the chance of abnormal heart rhythm
- Reducing the likelihood of heart attack and stroke
- Lessens the chance of sudden cardiac death in people with heart disease
- REDUCES INFLAMMATION IN THE BODY:
- ASTHMA: Reduces symptoms of inflammation in the lungs
- RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: EPA and DPA can help reduce stiffness and joint pain
- DIGESTION: reduces symptoms of IFB (Inflammatory Bowel Disease)
- CANCER: Omega-3 has been known to reduce risks of breast, colon and prostate cancer
- NECESSARY FOR OPTIMUM BRAIN FUNCTION:
- DEPRESSION: Cultures that eat high levels of Omega-3s have low levels of depression
- BABY DEVELOPMENT: Omega-3 Fish Oils is important in visual and neurological development.
- ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder): Studies show that Omega-3 can reduce the symptoms of ADHD in children and helps to improve their mental skills.
- ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE & DIMENTIA: Omega-3 has a positive effect on memory loss due to aging.
- WEIGHT LOSS: Helps to control blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- HORMONES: Helps balance our hormone levels
BEAUTY BENEFITS: A diet rich in Omega-3 also has beauty benefits especially to those individuals experiencing, dry skin, dry/thinning hair, or brittle nails.
- SKIN: gives skin a healthy glow by providing a rich source of moisture and has anti-aging by helping to reduce the structural and wrinkle damage in the skin caused by exposure to the sun’s UV Rays
- HAIR: helps provides luster, sheen and elasticity to hair. Improves circulation, helps grow strong healthy hair and helps to prevent or reverse hair loss.
- NAILS: helps nourish nails and prevent nail disorders.
NATURAL SOURCES OF OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
- EGGS: Omega-3 Eggs
- FISH: Anchovies, Bluefish, Herring, Mackerel, Wild Salmon (vs. Farmed), Sardines, Sturgeon, Trout, and Tuna
- NUTS: Almonds, Brazilnuts, Cashews, Peanuts, Pecans, Pistachios, Walnuts
- SEEDS: Chia, Flax, Hemp, Pumpkin, Sunflower, Sesame Seeds
- BEANS, GREENS & VEGGIES: Mung Beans, Navy Beans, Kidney Beans, Seaweed, Winter Squash, Spinach, Kale, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts
- FRUITS: Blueberries, Mangoes, Honeydew Melons
- OTHERS: Olives & Cold-Pressed Olive Oil
Food should always be considered as your primary source of nutrients, however when that is not possible, consider taking supplements to ensure you meet you daily recommended doses. I would recommend NutraSea Omega-3 Liquid Oils in lemon flavour by Ascenta. I take it straight from the bottle (see bottle for daily recommended dosage). I also like to drizzle my dose on my Greek Yogurt and Blueberry Parfait or add it to my Post-Workout Protein Shake. NutraSea Omega-3 Liquid Oil is available in other flavours such as Apple, and Mango. It also comes in soft gel form for Adults, and options for children and pets.